Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Classical Stocking Stuffer


I love procrastinating! While I'm supposed to be studying for exams today, I decided instead to make an album mix DVD for Steven of my favorite classical music. This was tricky because I don't follow any particular classical canon or critic, but rather rely on recommendations from a few sources, including Alex Ross and the Gramophone, and the hit or miss of borrowing and purchasing at random. As my friends know, I purchase and borrow popular music based on the criticism of Robert Christgau, to the point where its kind of a religious fanaticism. For classical, however, I've had a falling out with Alex Ross (nothing personal), and don't know where else to turn. So I just get whatever, listen to whatever, and try to find my way.

So, here are 22 recordings I adore. I am not an expert by any means, so these are not the "best" of anything except, perhaps, my personal collection. But I love them, and recommend them. Also note that there are very few adventurous recordings here--I'm not sure Steven would be into those. Merry Christmas!

C.P.E. Bach, Symphonies Nos. 1-4 (Andrew Manze)
J.S. Bach, Bach Cantatas (Lorraine Hunt Lieberson)
J.S. Bach, The Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould/1955)
Béla Bartók, The Piano Concertos (Anda/DG Originals)
L.V. Beethoven, Symphony No. 9 "Choral" (Osmo Vänskä)
David Behrman, On the Other Ocean/Figure in a Clearing (Lovely)
Hector Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique (John Eliot Gardiner/1991)
Crystal Tears (Andreas Scholl)
Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 1 (Kubelik/DG Originals)
Gustav Mahler, Symphony No. 6 (Claudio Abbado/2005)
Olivier Messiaen, Quatuor pour la fin du temps (Walter Boeykens)
W.A. Mozart, Clarinet Concerto/Clarinet Quintet (Martin Fröst)
Arvo Pärt, Tabula Rasa (ECM)
Prokofiev/Ravel, Piano Concertos (Argerich/DG Originals)
Terry Riley, In C (Bang on a Can)
Franz Schubert, Goethe Lieder (Fischer-Dieskau/DG Originals)
Franz Schubert, String Quintet D.956 (Alban Berg Quartett)
Robert Schumann, Dichterliebe (Wunderlich/DG Originals)
Jean Sibelius, Symphonies Nos. 4-7 (Karajan/DG Originals)
Song of Songs (Stile Antico)
Igor Stravinsky, Pétrouchka/Le Sacre du printemps (Boulez/Sony)
Toru Takemitsu, Chamber Works (Naxos)

No comments: